About Plunge for the Cure
The Plunge for the Cure Foundation is a registered Canadian charity that was established to raise funds for drug and treatment development targeting ovarian cancer.
Plunge for the Cure was started by a group of Vancouver residents, business owners, and philanthropists who all have one thing in common: a desire to crush ovarian cancer. Supporters fundraise annually, as individuals or as a team, and then take part in celebrating the arrival of summer by plunging into the water on the last Sunday in May to help us crush ovarian cancer. The event will raise funds for drug and treatment development for ovarian cancer through the world-renowned UBC/VGH research facilities in Vancouver.
According to the VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation, each year in Canada, over 3,100 women will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer and over 1950 will die from their disease.
Get involved today by; spreading the word on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, becoming a sponsor, making a one-time or monthly donation, and/or volunteering to help at the inaugural Plunge event in 2023.
Join us as we take the Plunge on May 28th, 2023 at Kitsilano Beach in Vancouver, BC for the inaugural Plunge for the Cure.
2022/23 Plunge Cabinet
Jim Shepard O.B.C., Board Chair & Founder
Owen Cameron, Board Vice Chair & Co-Founder
Dr. Janice Kwon, M.D., F.R.C.S.C., M.P.H., Board Secretary
Dr. David Huntsman, MD, FRCPC, FCCMG
Dr. Dianne Miller, M.D., F.R.C.S.C.
Sam Sullivan, C.M.
Take the PlungeRegister Today
What is the point of PFTC?
- PFTC was established to raise funds for drug and treatment development for ovarian cancer.
When and where is the event?
- The inaugural Plunge for the Cure will take place in 2023 on the last Sunday in May at Kitsilano Beach in Vancouver. In future years, we are hoping to have other cities sign up and take the Plunge.
When did it start?
- With the support of our launch partners: Telus, RBC, Fasken, Astra Zeneca, A&W, Purdy’s, GSK, Buntain Insurance, Engage.in, and White Canvas Design, we officially launched the Plunge for the Cure on May 8th, 2022.
- In support of our efforts, the City of Vancouver provided the Plunge for the Cure Foundation a proclamation that stated: “Vancouver wishes to encourage citizen support for this most worthy cause with the declaration that May 8th, 2022, is Ovarian Cancer Day”.
- The inaugural Plunge takes place in Vancouver, BC on Sunday, May 28th, 2023.
Why ovarian cancer?
- Prostate cancer is unique to men and has a 98% survival rate in 5 years. By comparison ovarian cancer, which is unique to women, has a 30% survival rate in 5 years. Ten years ago, ovarian cancer had a five-year survival rate of 0.
- An estimated 3,100 Canadian women were diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2020, and an estimated 1950 died from the disease. In BC, that was 440 diagnosis and 280 deaths.
What happens to the money you raise?
- The world-class research team at the renowned VGH/UBC research facilities are the primary recipient of all charitable funds raised.
How can I get involved?
- Spread the Word
- Ready to help us make a big splash? Sign up to Volunteer to help at the inaugural Plunge event on May 28th, 2023
- Make a Donation
- Every dollar counts. Donations can be made here or contact us today for our Sponsorship package.
- Take the Plunge
- Join us and #TakethePlunge at Kitsilano Beach on Sunday, May 28th, 2023. Register to participate as an individual, as a team with a group of friends, or together with your colleagues as a corporate team to help us crush ovarian cancer.
How can my organization get involved as a sponsor?